Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Adventure Begins

For all of you lolling about your shaded terraces this summer with iced, fruity drinks in hand, here's a bit of entertainment to make you feel glad about where you are. So read on; there are thrills galore on this trip! It's Cairo to Cape Town by surface, at least as much as I can humanly stand. I promise lots of dereliction, weirdness, and glorious moments, so check in from time to time!

And of course there are the usual reasons to once again flee Orange County, but most of all, the romance of seeing places like Ujiji, the Serengeti, the sources of the Nile, and Zanzibar is too overpowering to resist. Colonialists out there will recognize the Cairo to Cape Town journey as one of the great classic routes, and that is reason enough to head out the door.

5 comments:

  1. HI Pam,
    I'm with you all the way. Cover areas not mentioned in Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux.
    What a high adventure trip. Be carefull Dear.
    Warm Regards,
    Bill Kames

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,

    What high adventure indeed! But be safe and have a wonderful time. I look forward to following the blog and hearing about it all.

    I found a copy of Dark Star Safari that I ordered from Amazon at a bargain price. Is that a good book to learn more about Africa?

    Take care, Pam! And I'll talk to you soon.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Eres una mujer muy brava! Te deseo mucha suerte en tu viaje por África.
    Besos
    Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam,
    I envy you this trip - as I did the Stans, too. I just came to your question about Sudan, and will be really curious to know if you can go there at all. I've been told me that if you fly from Cairo to Nairobi, there is a stopover in Khartoum, in case there is no other way to do it. Good Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addition to last comment...
    I hadn't signed up, so wasn't identifiable previously. Now I am, I hope!

    ReplyDelete