Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fantastic Las Geel


Imagine Neolithic cave art--some of it over 5000 years old--just sitting out in the middle of the nowhere. Las Geel was discovered by French archaeologists only in 2003, and it surely ranks as one of the world's most amazing sites, with some people saying it deserves World Heritage status if not for the political situation. Slowly its existence is becoming known (try a YouTube search), but for now these superb stylistic representations of cattle, hunters with bows, cows bearing milk, etc., receive few visitors. And they say there is more out there yet undiscovered.

To get there is neither easy nor cheap. Las Geel is about 60 km from Hargeisa, and the Somalilanders take one's safety very seriously (one incident would cause a huge setback in the government's efforts to seek support from the international community). I must hire a 4-wheel drive car with a driver and then two soldiers (Shede and Abdulrahman) armed with AK47s. With permits in hand to get past the roadblocks, my private militia and I set off. I am a kind general, and while on maneuvers I only require them to help me scramble up and down cliff sides. The day is utterly fantastic.






My private militia

4 comments:

  1. You look like a guerrillero !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mis ojos--Las Geel...now, that is a place I would like to see. Great shots of the cave art. And, the AK47--tres chic. It's such a fashion statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam looks like Patty Hurst with some SLA 'soldiers.' Power to the PEOPLE!! Off the PIGS!!! Is there a Bank of America nearby??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My apology! It's Patty HEARST, not HURST. But Pam STILL looks like an SLA member... UP AGAINST THE WALL, PIGS!!!

    ReplyDelete