Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A few more words about Ethiopia...

Stomach issues oblige me to fly from Lalibela to Djibouti--a journey that feels like traveling through silk compared to the last few weeks. Although Ethiopia holds many wonders and most people are quite lovely, based on the regions I've seen, the World Health Organization needs to step in and shut this place down--immediately. Let's take the money. Most of it is so unspeakably filthy, the smell permeates through my wallet and then through my money pouch, and finally it makes my shirt stink to the point where it needs to be destroyed. At the end of one pre-dawn taxi ride, the driver has to pull out a flashlight so we can both try to figure out a mass of brown paper. "What do you think this one is?" as I hold one up. I learn to recognize size. I pose to my traveler friends reading this blog: Have any of you seen worse? And then there are basic sanitation problems, far, far too gross to enumerate on the blog. Rant over.

Anyway, a new country beckons!!

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have one note that equals your puzzle; I'll have to check. I think I put the pieces in an envelope......

    But I don't remember the stink! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete